Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:55:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hi Liz-thanks for pointing out the 'toolkit'. It's quite extensive and contains so much useful information. I've just spent the last 1.5 hours reading it (hours I don't have right now) but it's so compelling to read. However, the reason I read it was because I was curious about your viewpoint/statement "If it is considered safe for the VLBW baby, after the sort of common sense
risk-benefit analysis and informed decision-making that the consent form envisions, then for a healthy term baby it ought to be a no-brainer." 
Throughout the toolkit itself the researchers have stated that if M.O.M. is not available that pDHM is recommended. The consent form (in the Appendices) states that to use raw donor milk from a screened donor must not be used by any other baby.The form states that the donor mother must go through an extensive health history, serum blood testing which must be repeated every 6 months, extensive health history and lifestyle history, results all handled by qualified personal and kept in sealed envelopes, results given to legal representatives, etc… Having donor moms sign documents makes them think a little harder and clearer on the importance of their answers. 
It sounds like it really is saying 'lets cover our butts'.
This hardly sounds like a "common-sense" risk/benefit analysis. I wonder how many moms on the milk sharing sites go through this common sense screening process. 
I think we need to be careful with our language when translating from a document that is used with medical staff in the hospital to the layperson in the community that feels there is very little risk or no risk to milk sharing. As the document states 'human milk is a living tissue and it has the potential to heal', but it also has the potential to harm. I agree, Breastfeeding is a public health imperative and I truly believe that those of us with a little more knowledge carry the responsibility to deal with and represent all the facts.
I encourage everyone to read this document, it's a wealth of information!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2