From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:41:52 -0400
" Smoking while pregnant or breastfeeding is
>completely unacceptable.  Sorry to vent, but I get so irritated when I see a
>pregnant or breastfeeding mom smoking"

I think that while it is not preferable,  I would rather see a mom
breastfeed if she is a smoker than not.

What seems unacceptable to us is one thing, but an addiction like
smoking/nicotine is a terrible  burden to bear, as you have pointed out (and
as I witnessed when my own mother had emergency surgery and no one prepared
her or treated her for nicotine withdrawal, truly horrible to watch) ...I do
my best to  offer concrete suggestions/solutions rather than pass judgement.
I find that I pass judgement all too easily, when in fact there are a few
things I could stop doing for my own good, ....but don't.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
in beautiful Williston, Vermont, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html