From:
Ivy Makelin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 02:14:55 +0800
Chinese do tend to swaddle their babies in at least three or four layers
finishing with a thick quilt. Most Chinese homes do not have adequate heat,
and in the wintertime in Many places, it can be only 15 degrees Celcius
indoors and everybody just wears coats inside, too. And, no, they don't
practice Kangaroo Care in China anymore since the arrival of Technology and
hospitals with incubators.

As for the immigrant families, they should be forward-thinking enough that
you can reason with them and cite the evidence. You can ask them the
temperature of their apartment, too. Maybe they have to save money so they
don't heat it much, like in China.

Not sure about SIDS rates, but besides swaddling which keeps them on their
backs, the Chinese also actively try to keep babies on their backs facing
up, not necessarily to avoid SIDS but more to make the baby's head
very flat at the back instead of the sides, which widens the face. A flat
back of head is thought to be more physically attractive. Chinese even have
special pillows for infants that have a dent in the middle to keep their
heads from being able to turn much.

Ivy in Beijing

--
(I'm really behind in emails, so if you don't get a response from me in the
time you would like, please re-send it to me. Thanks!)