From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:17:55 -0700
Julie, Does the mom have LOTS of milk? Could they be experiencing foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? That gives frothy stools, but maybe not mucus.  So, maybe something else in mom's diet besides dairy is causing the symptoms. The next most likely culprit is soy. It's hidden everywhere, but, here's a way she may be able to see a pattern. Use lined paper, Label across:
Time    mom ate    baby nursed   baby's diapers    baby's mood or symptoms
Columns: times and details. EXamples:
8am     cereal
        almond milk
8:30a                 (check)
9:00a                            normal poop        happy, no problems

etc  (I hope that comes out the way I wrote it.)
In a day or two she may see a pattern. Or maybe you will. Anyway, the other idea that came to mind---I recently read two abstracts on PubMed of studies that concluded that acidophilus supplements help reduce colic symptoms even in formula fed babies. Might be worth a try! Good luck.
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Bryan, Texas, USA