Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:05:41 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/01 7:52:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> We have been tracking how many breastfeeding babies are getting a formula
> feeding (for any reason) during their stay on our mother-baby unit. I found

If our rate were only 50% I'd be doing handsprings down the hallways!  Our
intention to breastfeed rate is extremely high - 90% or more - but I'd bet
98% get a least a little formula while they're staying with us.  Most moms
decide to put their babies in the nursery at night and there goes exclusive
breastfeeding.  The story is usually along the lines of you/I need to get
some rest.  It is very discouraging.  The moms who really want to have their
babies room in are often encouraged to give a little something extra if the
baby is at all fussy.  So much work to do...so little time!  We have about
250+ births per month - MANY c-sections, and many more vacuum extractions
than seem necessary.  But I'm just the LC...

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
 p/t hospital - private practice, So. Calif, USA