From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 00:50:09 -0400
I have a few additional comments to what Dr. Newman has posted.  Overall,
I also agree with much of what was attributed to Dr. Lawrence.
As for the method of supporting the breast (c-hold vs. scissors), it's
probably more important to ensure that the areola is free so that the baby
can get a deep latch.
I agree with Dr. Newman that stooling, although helpful, is only a part of
the picture.  If the baby is thriving and gaining weight, and has
demonstrated adequate stooling early on, so that we are not concerned
about Hirschsprung's disease, let's not get dogmatic about the number of
stools per day.  I personally related on Lactnet the case of a
thriving baby who
started stooling every 4-5 days in the 3rd week of life.  Even though most
don't start this pattern until a month of age, that doesn't mean it can't
happen earlier.
One other comment is about the issue of Vitamin D.  My understanding is
that it is not being dark-skinned which predisposes to rickets.  The only
known cases of rickets I am aware of were in babies whose mothers (who
happened to be of African descent), due to their Muslim religion covered
themselves from head to toe, but who also nursed exclusively for 2 years
and ate a diet with no dairy, and who kept the babies themselves covered
with little or no exposure to sunlight.  I believe that ALL of these
conditions (except possibly for the skin pigmentation - I imagine a
lighter-skinned mother who did all of the above would expose her baby
equally to rickets), must exist in order for the baby to get rickets.  For
a woman such as I described, I suppose she could use a vitamin D
supplement or expose her baby to sunlight if her religion permits it. Hope
this helps.  Alicia.