Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:43:23 EDT

Hi Sam,

In a message dated 10/27/2008 5:13:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, you  wrote:

Knowing  about the "new method" (single layer closure) of uterine closure, I
wonder  about the difference in amount of muscle removed. Each time there  is
another cesarean, the old scar is removed and a new one created. Is  there
any sizeable difference between the amount of tissue used as  comparing the
multiple layer closure and the single layer closure? I don't  know if that
would make a difference or not, but most OBs around here are  using the
single layer closure which is faster than the multiple. There is  increased
risk of placental accreta (placenta growing through the old  incision) with
single layer closure, but I don't know about amount of scar  created or
tissue removed through additional  surgery

Is it true that the old *uterine* scar is removed? I'd always thought that,
but my gyno (not the one who delivered my last three)  told me last  year that
isn't so. The new uterine incision is not made over the old one. I  don't
really know, but it does make sense that if incisions are considered to  weaken
the uterus then multiple incisions would be weaker that just one.

My personal story: My first baby was born by c-section in 1980 for CPD. My
original OB told me that I would not be able to have more than 3 babies because
 my uterus would be too "flabby". I could have my 3 sections and then have my
 tubes tied. Btw, this OB did do VBACs and I heard that he let one woman
deliver  in his office suite. With my second baby in '83, I had a repeat c-section
with  no labor so that my husband could attend the birth. This was hospital
policy.  With Baby Number Three, we'd moved to Greenville and I switched
doctors. I'd  read Silent Knife, too. I was determined to try a VBAC. I was a little
concerned  about my incision though. I've got a classical skin incison. I
knew that the  uterine and skin incision didn't always match, but I had no reason
to doubt that  I had a classical uterine cut. You know, flabby uterus and
all. I'll never  forget my new OB showing me "low transverse incision" on my
medical records.  Btw, a classical incision would not have disqualified me from a
VBAC at this  practice. Theresa was born by c-section after a decent labor due
to fetal  distress. I did have a little separation of my old scar, but my OB
thought it  was basically of no consequence. I didn't stop at three babies and
my new doc  never even mentioned that I shouldn't have more babies. My fourth
baby was born  almost 4 months early in '87. Katherine weighed 900 g. My
doctor said I didn't  need a c-section for a 2 pound baby so Katherine was a VBAC.
My fifth -and last-  baby was full-term. Rachel's birth was not only a VBAC,
but it was as close to  perfect as it could be. My old flabby uterus held up
just fine.

Warmly,
Carol Kelley   LLLL
Taylors, SC  USA