From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:39:26 -0500
Dear Laura Wright,
     Hope some of these comments may be helpful to you!  I often tell
parents the first week or two of breastfeeding can be difficult with some
good feedings, some not so good feedings, some nipple or breast
tenderness/fullness, as mom and baby are learning, but many many mothers
have commented to me, "It's so easy now, (after 1-2 weeks), my milk is
always warm, always in a clean container, (some might say attractive
container....such as the male of our species), with no bottles to wash
and no formula to mix and keep cool."
Breastfeeding is natural, but it is learned, and baby has never eaten
with the mouth before, and it often takes 4 hands to get started the
first couple of days; at which time I will nod to papa, include and draw
him in, show him how to help how I was helping and how to gently massage
baby to keep him awake, and push slowly and gently under baby's chin to
stimulate the sucking motion if baby stops; also to help mom identify if
baby is slipping off the nipple during the feeding by more areola
showing.
      Yes, it is an art to keep teaching on the positive note!  We can
always learn different, better ways to phrase and teach!  The people I
most admire and get along with in life are  teachable and  flexible, and
I hope to be the same!!
    I think we need to mention that some women become engorged, some
women experience sore nipples, but it can be avoided or minimized with
correct latch well onto the areola and close positioning, and with
frequent feedings in the early days.
     Good luck, Laura!  You are asking great questions and I will eagerly
read the other responses to them!
     Susan Potts  rn ibclc
     Minnesota