From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:23:23 -0700
Beloved Listmembers,
Thanks for much-needed brain stimulation this morning
as I have been catching up on posts from yesterday!

Just as the use of artificial infant milk
("formula"--a word that makes it sound so scientific
and so very benign) is a "reality" in US/Western
culture, there are other realities that follow along
with it.  To name only a few:
*Artificial infant milk (AIM) is CHRONICALLY OVERUSED
in our society in situations where breastfeeding and
breastmilk would more than suffice.
*Use of AIM carries risks which the manufacturers do
NOT want the public to know about, which they spend a
good deal of time and money both suppressing and
concealing.
*AIM manufacturers are making BIG BUCKS due to our
society's ignorance and casual attitude about their
products.
*Many AIM manufacturers also make artificial feeding
supplies and/or breast pumps.  Some of these products
are of inferior quality and can lead to breastfeeding
problems or cessation.  The AIM manufacturers profit
from the sale of their ineffective products, then when
BFing fails, they make even more money on AIM *and*
artificial feeding supplies (bottles, nipples,
pacis...)

AIM manufacturers are making money, money, money, hand
over fist, at the expense of *our wellbeing and
health*, and they do not give a rodent's furry rump
about it!  Pockets are being lined, stockholders are
happy, so why should they care?  Actions speak louder
than words, and their continued efforts to seduce the
public and lull them into complacency are reaching
fever pitch.

To quote Dr. Nancy Wight in a recent post, "We are NOT
'fine'!"  AIM manufacturers continue to peddle their
wares indiscriminately while our health, as a nation,
is going down the toilet, and that, for me, is
*reality*.

Carole Jernigan
RN, BSN, IBCLC
and grateful for every drop of breastmilk I got!
Thanks, Ma!