Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:15:03 EDT
In a message dated 7/31/02 2:31:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Also, mom's wondering about the three year old and wether or not it's a
> good idea for him to be nursing.    Emotionally, he really needs it.
> What are the thoughts on that?

Katherine,

I had the same thought that it might be difficult to tell if the 3 yo is
taking a large volume since they sure can power nurse in lickety split time.
Some success I've had with toddlers is to work on substituting the number of
times nursing for the length of the nursing.  It seems to work to reduce the
breast time without causing trauma.

So, what I've suggested to the moms is to do a lot of switch nursing but for
short time on each side.  I tell the mom to let the toddler nurse a set
amount of time (count in her head), then say "okay, other side" and switch.
Repeat several times (at least 6).  The mom can warn the toddler that he/she
has "4 more times" then "3 more times" etc... if the toddler is open to that
and won't get upset.  Then say "okay all done."  Having another activity to
direct them to is very helpful at this point (fetch a diaper or go watch a
video)   For some very advanced toddlers, giving a timer works.

Over time, the toddler nursing can be decreased if desired until he/she takes
a few sucks and goes off to the next activity.  Once these twins are nursing
and more stable, it sounds like the toddler nursing may not be a problem in
this case, though.

It's my thought that with these twins, the extra nipple stim with super
switch nursing if the milk transfer can be somewhat limited would be all to
the good.

Send her our best and as much energy as can be transferred electronically!

Karen Seroussi, BS, LLLL
Cooper City, FL