Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:43:11 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
I'll take a stab at this one. 
Many people use ultrasound to help open up engorged breasts and plugged ducts.

Researchers in UWA in Perth used ultrasound to watch milk flow during milk releases. They have shown the ducts dilating during a letdown and shrinking down again during the backwash of milk into the alveoli when the milk was not suckled or pumped out.

It's my bet that the ultrasound done on this mom did, in fact, open up some ducts. The doctor saw normal dilation and declared it to be pathologic. Whatever that may have to do with the mother's other medical issues is beyond me.

Wish we had some of those ultrasounds from UWA showing milk releases, sucking action on the breast, & sucking action on a bottle as educational tools for our hospital staff. They ignore our words, but maybe seeing really is believing.

Phyllis

---- Naomi Hull <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 

=============
Hi all, PTP. A friend of mine has a 18month old with a history of cardiac surgery at 6 weeks of age, for Coarctation of Aorta. Good recovery from that. Feeding problems though, Mum with frequent mastitis, white spot, blocked ducts, saw IBCLC, posterior tongue tie, which not treated due to cardiac history, and he was thriving anyway due to Mums large supply. Dedicated Mum who persisted to this point with ongoing pain, mastitis. Anyhow things had settled for a while, pain returned, GP yesterday ultrasounded her breast and made the comment that she doesn't infact have blocked ducts, she has "dilated ducts' and that she should no longer feed from that breast. She has rung me as a friend to see if there are any other solutions for managing dilated ducts.
Does anyone have any comments?
Thank you in advance,
Naomi Hull
IBCLC (brand new)
Breastfeeding Counsellor (ABA)
Brisbane Australia

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2