From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:21:47 -0500
from use of the adapted syringe:

I am not especially concerned about nipple damage as a liability concern as I
pointedly tell a mother that she is the only one who can use it and remind her
that if any breast-thing hurts, it isn't being used properly.  Breast/nipple
pain as an indicator that something is wrong is a constant theme of mine.  I
think it unlikely that she would hurt her own nipple.

My concern with the adapted syringe is the contamination issue which does not
seem to bother anyone but me.  Maybe my public health background is getting in
the way.  However, it does concern me a bit that they are handled by others and
then put on mothers breast which is not only her body but a "plate of food for
baby."

We have been using these adapted syringes for short/inverted nipples since the
JHL article and no one at the hospital has indicated a concern for liability.

Pardee H. Hinson, MPH, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC