From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:54:13 EDT
Lara, I agree that a baby does not bond with the plastic but this I want to
say an observer.  Many parents who bottle feed are not taught how to do this
correctly and therefore do not hold and bond with their babies while bottle
feeding.
I have observed nurses, students and parents bottle feeding in the hospital
and out in public and see many times inattentive feedings and bottle propping.
What I think is important is that parents be taught how to bottle feed and
the importance of the interaction the baby needs with the feeder at this time.
I have brought this up before, as lactation consultants, I think we need to
know and be the ones who help with infant feeding, be it breast or bottle.
Ann Perry RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA