From:
beadie cambardella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:15:47 -0400
Dr Lyndon Smith has always said that there is nothing wrong with children
who suck their thumb --they just grow up to have children who suck their
thumb.
I think that sleeping babies on back they don't find it as easily as when
they were on abdomen with head to side and thumb easily slid to mouth.
Three of my four suck thumb and the one who did not would see his sister
suck her thumb and his younger brother suck his thumb and spend a good bit
of time trying it out and would try this way and that and never could figure
it out.   The thumb suckers all nursed greater than 15 months but continued
thumb sucking longer.  The first gave hers up at age 5 when her ped dentist
, who she was afraid of (because of his beard) told her to stop and she did
from that  moment.
The fourth child sucked his thumb 14 years and needed braces only on the
bottom and only for 10 months.  The one who did not ever suck never needed
braces and never had a cavity until college and had nursed the longest 2
years 8 months .
I sucked my thumb until age 6 and my father gave me a beautiful ring in
exchange for quitting and I did.
It is a familial trait.
Beadie Cambardella RN IBCLC FACCE