From:
LeAnn Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:56:01 -0600
Hello!  My name is Le Ann H. and I am one of the UND (junior)College of
Nursing students who has been observing, for the last month+, your
interaction here on lactnet.  I have certainly enjoyed and have found it
quite educational to view the interesting communication between
professionals.  Thank you for allowing students to do so!!

This semester I am following an expectant Mom for my "Families in the
Community" class.  She conceived her baby in Massachusetts and soon after
returned to ND to be with her family.  Before leaving Mass. her OB doctor
gave her a prescription for fluoride supplements to take after her fifth
month of pregnancy.  The doctor stated this would help prevent her baby from
having dental caries in its life time.  When she went to the pharmacy in ND
to fill her prescrition, the pharmacist did not want to fill it but
reluctantly did give her the fluoride supplements.

I have been on the internet for a great number of hours trying to find
journal articles on this practice but have not had much luck finding info of
fluoride supp. during pregnancy.

I did see an article (Griffith, 1995)with a single statement "Fluoride
supplements during pregnancy is not proven to protect the unborn child's
teeth."  This was the only mention of supplementation during pregnancy that
I found.

In articles not concerning pregnancy; The American Dental Assoc. asserts
that water fluoridation decreases dental caries by 50-70%(Shaw and Murray,
1975)Opponents of fluoridation question its value in preventing these dental
problems and cite dozens of studies which show the toxic effects of
fluoridation.

Fluoride is an effective medicine in preventing caries, but it can also
mottle(turn chalkey white or yellow) teeth and cause various other symptoms.
A deficiency of fluoride is extremely unusual for those eating a standart
American diet.  Whereas the ADA asserts that fluoridation assures that
people will get amts of fluoride that will prevent caries,
anti-fluoridationists rebut that we are already getting enough, perhaps even
too much(Maurer and Day, 1971).

I also spoke with my own dentist who re-enforced the articles.  He stated
fluoride supp during pregnancy was a rare practice; in areas where there is
fluoride in the water extra supplements are not needed but if taken can lead
to teeth mottling and other problems.

With all of the controversy. I am not sure of the reasoning why my expectant
Mom's doctor gave her the prescription.  I am curious if any of you have
experience or knowledge of this practice in your areas and what criteria
warrants supplementation during pregnancy.  Any feedback would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks Much!  Le Ann H. student nurse ([log in to unmask])