From:
Mandi Porta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:33:34 -0500
Project Overview:
March through June of 2004 will bear witness to hopeful breastfeeding
mothers sealing up packages of their most precious photos.  These family
heirlooms will be sent from all over the world in the hopes of helping
millions of yet to be born babies all over the world, as well as the
possibility of winning a prize in the 2004 International Breastfeeding
Photography Competition.  The winning images from this event will not only
grace the halls of the judging room but they will go on to serve a greater
purpose in the world.

One and a half million lives could be saved every year by reversing the
decline in breastfeeding, says the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
In this climate, the artificial formula industry continues to pour millions
of dollars into marketing, while lactation consultants and breastfeeding
promoters around the world struggle to find just one image that they can
legally use to promote breastfeeding.  The 2004 International Breastfeeding
Competition is being held to correct this situation.  All of the winning
entries will be available on the Internet in high-resolution files for use
by non-profit breastfeeding promoters all over the world.  The mothers who
are entering this competition have the satisfaction of knowing that they
are doing their part to protect infant health worldwide.

Amongst a swirl of media attention and surrounded by hundreds of
enthusiastic breastfeeding mothers, breastfeeding promoters, and
dignitaries, The New Zealand Minister of Health, the Honourable Annette
King, will announce the winners of the competition in the New Zealand
Parliament as a kick of to World Breastfeeding Week 2004.

50 of the most emotive images will be selected for a world tour of artistic
and educational significance.  These images will be displayed in
professional conferences, hospitals, clinics, malls, community houses, and
galleries.  The non-winning images will be gifted to breastfeeding
promotion organizations and individuals all over the world to further their
work.  Calendars, posters, and CD ROMS will be produced from the winning
images to further promote breastfeeding worldwide.

 Synergy Proposal:
 This is the vision that our coalition hopes to achieve and we need
world support in able to see our dream through.  We are BESTPART
(Breastfeeding Empowerment, Support, Training, Promotion, Advocacy, and
Research Team, formerly the Hutt Valley Breastfeeding Coalition).  We are a
non-profit organization made up of breastfeeding mothers, La Leche League
members, Doctors, Community Health Providers, Nurses, Midwives, and
Lactation Consultants.  Last year after struggling to find non-copyrighted
breastfeeding images to promote breastfeeding in our area, we decided to
hold our first ever breastfeeding photography competition.  It was a huge
success and we received entries from all over the world.  After word spread
of the competition we were inundated with requests to use the images, but
due to our contest rules we were not able to allow it.  That gave us the
idea for this year’s competition and now we need the support of other
Breastfeeding Supportive Patrons, and Breastfeeding Coalitions and
Organizations around the world to help us to realize our dream.

 What we are asking:
1. An official letter of Support for the competition and exhibit from
your organization.
2. Details of your organizations membership.
3. Assistance getting the word spread about the competition through
out the world to breastfeeding mothers in some of the following manners.
a. By means of a link on your Internet site.
b. Emails to your network of  interested friends and colleagues.
c. By writing a story about the project in your literature or placing
an advert for the competition (we will provide the advert).
d. By sending out press releases to your local media (we will provide
the press releases).
e. By distributing the entry forms to your membership or posting them
on your website.
f. By sharing the information about the competition with any local
photography societies or clubs.
4. Letters of interest for subcategories of images that would be most
useful for your region ie African, Chinese, Native North American, Hispanic
etc.  Your organization would need to find sponsorship for the prize and
then the winning image would be given to your organization for display and
the digital version of the image would be available for people to use all
over the world.
5. Shipping cost to send you the gifted images.
6. Sponsorship and coordination of the exhibit in your area if you
choose to stage the exhibit.

What we are offering:

1. Full coordination of a competition that will enrich breastfeeding
promotion efforts around the world.
2. Advertising of your group as a supporting organization of the 2004
International Breastfeeding Competition in contest information and contest
advertising.
3. Gifting of selected entries from the competition for use in
breastfeeding promotion.
4. The opportunity to host the exhibit.
5. The opportunity to support breastfeeding advocates around the world
in a novel way.
6. A database of winning images that can be used by your membership to
illustrate literature and promote breastfeeding in your community.
7. Naming rights to special categories that your organization finds
sponsorship for.  Such as The Lactville Breastfeeding Coalition’s Purple
haired Nursing Mother Photography Award.  And the gifting of the winning
image to your organization at the end of the tour of the exhibits.

Competition and Exhibition Details

Dates & Times: Competition Entry Deadline:  30 May 2004
  Judging of Entries: 9 June 2004
  Awards Ceremony: July 29th 2004
  Beginning of World Tour of Exhibit: August 2004

Location of Awards Ceremony: The Grand Hall, Parliament, Wellington New
Zealand

Participants: We are anticipating over 500 entries to the competition.

Target
Demographics: Our competition primary audience is highly targeted to
breastfeeding mothers, La Leche League Leaders, lactation consultants,
nurses, physicians, childbirth educators, health care providers, and
parents.  Our secondary demographics are student, Amateur, and Professional
Photographers.  Our Exhibit primary audience is the general public in an
effort to raise awareness of the health benefits of breastfeeding and to
attempt to influence community acceptance of breastfeeding in public.

Cost: The competition is free to enter.  And the exhibits will be free to
view.  The winning images will be available free to all breastfeeding
promoters worldwide via the Internet.

Contact Details: Mandi Porta, BSN, IBCLC, Chairperson BESTPART, BFHI
Coordinator Hutt Valley District Health Board.
International (64)4-570-9248
Hutt Valley District Health Board
Private Bag 31-907
Lower Hutt, New Zealand