Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:57:21 -0600
Actually, I have some moms that use it and love it and others that don't.  The milk does NOT flow if the baby is not sucking.  The baby has to learn to control the flow with the level of suck.  My issue with it is that it is a fast flow with a relatively low suck pressure.  My rationale is that some research has shown that babies exert an average pressure of about 160-180 mmhg and that is adequate to "empty" a breast.  Now - if a baby can get flow with lower pressures than that at faster than, say, an ounce in 5 minutes, will that make the baby reject a slower flowing breast?  I have had some babies that this bottle helped tremendously just because of the firmer teat and the inability to compress, which helped post-frenulotomy babies to improve central grooving of the tongue and is easier than finger-feeding especially for bigger/older babies needing more volume.  Bottom line:  there's no one-size fits all!