From:
Andrea Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:35:53 -0400
Jean wrote

"<Apparently the local breastpump company rep has been sharing a
success story>

There's your first clue. A marketing ploy, very similar to what
we criticize the pharmaceutical industry's formula reps for. Has
it come down to "pimping" for the pump companies too, as long as
they don't officially violate the code?"

[And some of the new products from one company may indeed violate
the Code!]

and then Rachel wrote

"Would this hospital consider having a volunteer visit the
waiting room of the outpatient clinic with epidural catheters, IV
infusion pumps, and manuals on how to do an
induction of labor, complete with DIY analgesia?"

and Magda hit the nail on the head when she said

"I would be sorry to go into a hospital and see items hawked
around some of which came from firms making their money from the
failure of normal uncomplicated breastfeeding."

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.  After some rough
experiences with a certain breastpump company, I can safely say
that there is not an altruistic bone in this company's "body" so
to speak, or in any company that makes most of its money the way
that Magda describes.  As I've heard Linda Smith point out from
time to time, these companies have legal responsibilities to
their stockholders to maximize profits.  Period.

It's wise to keep Jean's, Rachel's, and Magda's comments in mind
when dealing with these large pump companies.  We wouldn't want
to wake up and find ourselves sleeping with the enemy.

Sincerely,
Andrea

--
Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
Granville, Ohio ~ mailto:[log in to unmask]