From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:33:20 -0400
Trying to post this for Barbara, without the formatting marks. Thanks.
Kathleen

Nikki,  Could you please clarify what you meant by your statement,
"According to the WHO, this course is equivalent in preparation to that of
the other credentialed breastfeeding helpers:  LLL, IBCLC, CLE, NMC, etc."
Does this mean that the WHO thinks that it takes the same amount of effort,
study and practice hours for all of these credentials?  I haven't seen the
WHO statement, so I want to be clear on this one.

As for certification, I think it is very important to make it clear that
there is a definite and very important distinction between "certification"
and "BOARD certification."  I'll include here an FAQ from the IBLCE website
explaining the differences, but in addition, the point I want to make, and
one that I believe is very important to our profession, especially in the US
right now, is that all 'breastfeeding helpers' are not the same.  All
'credentials' are not equal.  To imply or suggest that they are, to fail to
completely inform mothers, prospective or current students, or employers of
the differences, hurts our profession and is a potential cause for harm to
the mother and infant.  If we ourselves complain and lament that mothers,
insurance companies, the medical profession (including physicians and other
allied health care professionals), and hospitals don't adequately recognize
our value and our services, and yet we continue as a profession to allow
'certifications' that require less than extensive education, hundreds or
thousands of practice hours of clinical practice hours, a rigorous,
psychometrically valid examination process including an exam developed by an
international panel of subject matter experts, lactation-specific education,
and guaranteed continuing competence through examination, it's our own fault
that 'we get no respect'.  I can't think of any other allied health care
profession that tolerates the same kind of behaviour.

Here is the FAQ:

What is the Difference Between the IBCLC Credential and Other
Certifications?

FAQ:  I'm confused.  What is the difference between your credential and all
the others?

Answer:  It can be confusing, and often the consumer is even more confused
than the health professional.  There are two important facts to keep in
mind:

    1.  "Certification" is not a legally defined term.  Anyone can "certify"
anyone for any type of knowledge or practice.  Even with the best of
intentions, course provides who cannot grant academic degrees have searched
for a term to use to indicate that a student has satisfactorily completed a
course of study.  Such terms as "Certified Lactation Educator (CBE)" and
"Certified Lactation Consultant" (CLC) are course completion certifications.
Some of the courses that offer these course completion verifications are
very well designed and have built impressive reputations for quality
preparation in their local communities and throughout the country.  Other
courses are of minimum quality and the credentials they offer verify only
that a student has paid her registration fee.  She may or may not have been
present for the entire presentation.  She may or may not have completed the
suggested background reading or completed the assignments.  And every
variety of quality, from poor to outstanding exists as well.  It is no
wonder that confusion is rampant among customers.

    2.  "Board Certification" is more tightly defined.  It means that the
credential is offered by a body consisting of a board of directors drawn
from the profession represented and from the supervising and coordinating
professions with a stake in a quality certification, and that the exam
offered is as thorough, comprehensive, statistically valid and reliable as
is possible for the body representative of the profession to make it.  Board
certification is never associated with the completion of one specific
preparation course only; it represent achievement at a level determined by
consensus of experts across the breadth and depth of the field.  Depending
on the credential, board certification requires extensive preparation in the
form of field-specific education, substantial clinical experience,
post-secondary education, and/or a portfolio presentation. In addition, to
ensure the public that the professional remains competent and current in
her/his chosen field, recertification by exam at regular intervals is
required.  Such credentials are the professional standard and are endorsed
by the professional associations representing the interests of the
professionals who work in the designated fields.  The IBCLC credential is
endorsed by the International Lactation Consultant Association and is
accredited by the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in
Washington, DC.

Comprehensive courses are an integral part of professional preparation.
Course completion, clinical experience, and board certification are all
vital components of preparation for practice.  A commonly recognized analogy
would be the BSN, a course completion certificate, and the RN, a board
certification required for practice. If you are going to represent yourself
to the public and to your employer as an expert and professional in
lactation management, you owe it to both to obtain the best possible
preparation, and also to demonstrate acquisition of your skills and
knowledge by passing a rigorous, independent board certification
examination.

Barbara Ash, MA IBCLC, LLLL