From:
Roberta Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 15:35:29 -0600
Marie:
  I agree with everything you said in your plea for us to meditate more
deeply on taking care when in contact with our patients. One thing you said
hit home and lets me understand where you are *at*, as they say:

>I agree that the message may be negative and HIV paranoia is rampet. However,
>we have to send another message if not set an example-- An individual's
>responsibility for their personal health.
>Believe me I understand the resistance-- I just don't agree with it.

I am seriously now thinking about buying myself a box of gloves - it may
take me a while to use them on every consult, but obviously that is the
direction in which I (and all of us) must go, when we take into account the
world in which we now live.

However, just as a comment on the medical practices currently in play here
in Merida...During the 18 Hr. Lactation Training Course for staff that I
participated in at a large gov't hosp. last week, one class touched on the
physical factors on the baby's side of the coin which make BF more
difficult - the cleft palate and split lip was discussed.

I inquired if a glove is worn while checking the mouth of the baby, and a
woman Dr. answered that the Dr. washes his/her hands very well several
times, and then checks with the finger -sans gloves- because the gloves
reduce the sensitivity on the skin while exploring.     (And this is in the
hosp. setting.)

Needless to say, many, many people are putting themselves to risk as they
minister to other human beings, big or small.  This issue is clearcut. Your
final comment was what sobered me up, more than anything else you have said
these past days on the issue of Universal Precautions. You ended with:

>I don't want to have to learn the hard way and I don't want to have to bury
>any of you either.

Thank you for your sincere concern - I'm sure I'm not the only LC out there
re-thinking her precedures.

Roberta