From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:53:50 -0500
In a message dated 3/30/2004 1:28:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> << I suspected that his tongue may be
> > too short as he could never quite reach beyond his gum
> > ridge.
> > >>

> I misread this when I first skimmed (and sent my reply).   I inserted my
> own word (frenulum) where you typed tongue.
>
> My bad.  clipping the frenulum isn't the right thing to do
> if it's not
> the frenulum that's interfereing:)

Katherine, I think you're on the right track. A tight or short frenulum could interfere with the baby's ability to move/extrude the tongue beyond the gum ridge... The other thing that made me thing possible frenulum issue was the baby's obvious interest in the breast, followed by his frustration after a few minutes.

In addition, I would "celebrate" with this Mom and baby, because baby does seem to have the right idea re: BF, which shows promise for the future. I find it often helps to celebrate and reinforce what baby CAN dowhat is going right with BF -- and keep reinforcing -- when mom is dealing with a BF problem/issue, because moms tend to focus on the problem/what is going wrong. Something encouraging can often help reframe a situation when a mom is wallowing in discouragement.

Can't recall but I assume the mom is (re)moving milk regularly to compensate for baby's difficulty removing milk. If so, there's no need for mom or baby to feel pressure to perform. Baby will learn if cues at breast are respected (and/or frenulum/mechanical issue taken care of if actually present). If baby can/is willing to use a tube system at breast, this little one seems a good candidate. Another option is Dee Kassing's method re: bottle-feeding (to reinforce breastfeeding behaviors), available via ILCA's web site. Exact page site is in the Archives.

Would highly second the recommendation for lots of kangaroo mother care.

KKG