From:
asimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:24:52 -0800
AAAAGGHHH!  There, I think I feel better now. The January 14, 1998
edition of a local issue of the St. Louis paper (they have special
weekly editions for different regions of the metro area) has an article
titled "Prolonged Breastfeeding: Producing More Guilt".  After several
short paragraphs on how emotionally hard it can be for mothers to return
to work, there is this little gem--
"Late last year, the American Academy of Pediatrics threw another
grenade of guilt at working mothers." Article then goes on to discuss
the current AAP guidelines (with the usual misquotation involving the
timing and frequency of feeds).  The chief of pediatrics for a local
hospital has this to say--
"There are not too many pediatricians who are actually practicing who
are in favor of this."
She says of working and breastfeeding "...it's just impossible."
And that this recommendation "...asks the impossible of the working
woman."
Then we have a short discussion of the benefits to woman and child of
breastfeeding, followed by how difficult it is to manage one's
recreational and social activities whilst breastfeeding.
My personal favorite?  The chief of pediatrics then goes on to say--
"People who can afford to breast-feed [sic] are affluent, stay-at-home
moms."   ?????????????????????????????????????
The article goes on to discuss workplaces becoming more
breastfeeding-mother-friendly, and shares several personal stories. One
sentence is from a woman who did not breastfeed and is actually talking
about a friend of hers.
There is a brief quote from the AAP about economic benefits of
breastfeeding, supported by the LADWP and Aerospace Corp. studies on
breastfeeding and absenteeism.  I suppose the author is striving for
balance....
Then we are back to the chief--
"It's a tremendous sacrifice and I'm not sure that (the recommendation)
is grounded in strong scientific data.  I'ts unfair, the burden of
motherhood in the '90s. The AAP is out of touch with reality on modern
motherhood.  It's just another way for American mothers to feel
inadequate."
We end with more statements about guilt from the author.

I don't even know where to start.
Help?

Sincerely (and still not feeling much better),
Andrea Simmons
LLLL, St. Louis MO