From:
Melissa Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:34:16 -0800
Kathy,

Thanks for posting the Children's Hospital link. While the article had some
good parts the part that bothered me the most was this:

"Maternal diet restriction is not 100% effective. Do not tell the mother to
further restrict her diet beyond milk and soy. It will not be likely to help
and will be very hard on the breast feeding mom."

This excerpt from the article sort of sums up the bigger issue; many HCPs
simply assume that an elimination/restricted diet is either ineffective or
worse, beyond what a new mother can cope with. The statement is not evidence
based and it prevents a mother being fully informed of her options in coping
with her child's food sensitivities. I am so tired of HCPS just recommending
specialized artificial infant milk because they assume mom won't take steps
to cut allergens out of her diet. How about teaching mom how to really read
labels and look for keywords for food allergens?

 Well, there is more I wish to post on the topic of protein/food
sensitivities since it is a topic I am passionate about but I will cut my
post short.

Jennifer Tow and other have posted lots of great info on food issues/gut
healing in previous posts that are useful for those searching the archives.
On a personal note, I have strong feelings about the topic of food
intolerances and breastfeeding due to my own experience and my work
counseling others. I have found holistic health care providers to much more
supportive in understanding and healing food sensitivities and intolerances
than allopathic providers. So for mother/baby dyads dealing with protein and
food sensitivities I would highly recommend they see a qualified ND
(preferably one that specializes in peds or food issues) before the dyad
resorts to specialized artificial infant milk for food sensitivities.

Melissa Cole, IBCLC