From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 11:58:15 -0700
>Consensus of studies examining the question of the relationship of water
>ingetsion to milk production is that they are (basically) unrelated.

Probaby true for the most part, but making milk is not the only good reason
to drink sufficient water.  We do want to support the woman's well-being,
and most Americans tend to skimp on water.

>suggest they use the color of the urine (in the absence of vitamins that
>might alter this) as a guide: clear or nearly clear urine throughout the
>day is an indicateor of adequate water intake.

B vitamins will make the most difference in the color, and many
multivit-min supplements have fairly high amounts of B vitamins.  So if the
mom is taking a multi-, for insurance, then she may have some bright yellow
pees even at a good hydration level.  Although those of us in nutrition try
to insist on getting all one's dietary needs fulfilled through diet, I do
recommend those in higher-risk categories (or, you could say, higher-demand
categories, higher-need categories) such as pregnancy and lactation, to go
ahead and take a daily supplement--not to depend on it, but just as an
extra insurance.  (The average diet is just not that good, despite all the
health-promoting messages we give.)

(And I have to caution against megadoses (pharmacologic doses) of B6,
pyridoxine, as a possible lactation suppressant.)

So, drink often, rather than waiting to get thirsty, but don't push fluids
to the point of nausea.  Drinking water (or other fluids) should be a
pleasant and enjoyable habit.  Water intoxication is going to the other
extreme.

Arly Helm               [log in to unmask]
MS, Nutrition & Food Science, CLE, IBCLC