From:
Julianne Fishell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 19:59:26 -0400
     I've been lurking for about a week and wasn't planning on writing since
I feel so underqualified (I'm a leader-applicant for LLL and mother of a
nursing 21/2 year old boy), but I have some advice on getting medicine down
for Jo Ann.
     This technique is borrowed from Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" (pp. 584-585)
 and worked for us the one time we had to give Roy medicine (for an ear
infection at 18mos and we have both been off of dairy since and he hasn't
gotten anymore).  I'll quote directly from the book.  There is an
illustration if you have access to it.  "Make a cheek pocket....Cradle baby's
head in the crook of your arm.  With the same hand, encircle baby's cheek and
use your middle or index finger to pull out the corner of his mouth, making a
pocket in his cheek.  With the other hand drop the medicine into this cheek
pocket [with syringe] a little at a time.  This hold keeps baby's mouth open
and his head still.  Best of all, the traction on baby's cheek with your
finger keeps him from spitting the medicine back out.  Maintain the traction
until all the medicine has gone down."
     Nursing names department:  Roy calls nursing "mama juice" or "nursie."
     Julianne Fishell