From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:05:30 -0600
I agree with the concept that babies and mothers should stay together.
However, I have concerns about safety in a hospital environment where
mother is exhausted from labor, possibly had a Cesarean birth, probably
taking narcotic pain medications, and in a double room which doesn't
have enough space for two recliners so a support person can stay with
the mother.  I really don't think some of these mothers are able to
safely care for their own babies.  Know a nurse who recently found a
baby blue in mom's arms.  Mom had baby skin-to-skin breastfeeding him
and then went to sleep.  Baby's airway apparently became blocked by
mom's breast when she fell asleep while sitting up in bed feeding him.
Mom was alone in the room with the baby.  Baby was okay, but it was a
close call.

Sometimes respiratory distress isn't apparent right away.  I think a
soundly sleeping mother is unlikely to be aware that her baby is
breathing fast or grunting (making a soft sing-songy nose that is an
early sign of respiratory distress).

Am I completely off base?

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA where the cooler no longer runs continuously all
night