From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:50:01 EST
In a message dated 12/15/98 10:29:15 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Jack, that reminds me of what my aunt was told 40 + years ago when her
 daughter was teething.  "1/2 fill a drinking glass with whiskey.  Rub some
 on the baby's gums with your finger.  Drink the rest! >>

With all the posts about alcohol, breastmilk & galactagogues, I thought that I
might make mention that research has revealed that breast-fed infants consumed
approximately 25% LESS milk during the 3 hours after their nursing mothers
drank an alcoholic beverage when compared to a non-alcoholic beverage!
Mennalla JA, Beauchamp GK:  The transfer of alcohol to human milk:  Effects on
flavor and the infant's behavior.  N Eng J Med 325: 981-985, 1991
Mennalla JA, Beauchamp GK:  Beer, breastfeeding and folklore.  Dev Psychobiol
26: 459-466, 1993
Andrew MD "who still does NOT prescribe EtOH to infants nor moms"