From:
Judy Welborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:07:13 -0400
Hello all. I am a long time Lacnet lurker  and now a new member.  I am a
hospital based LC and have been for 15 years.  Our hospital delivers
6000-7000 babies a year and we have seven IBCLCs on staff and several staff
nurses working as "lactation educators" while working toward their
certification.

I have learned so much useful information from the wise people of lactnet .
I have finally been prompted to join your group because of a distressing
situation that has developed at my hospital and I need some advice from you
wise ones.

The situation:  Our hospital has been taking close look at demerol for the
past two years both as an effective pain reliever in general and also its
effect on breastfeeding.  Somehow, our hospital has developed an un-official
policy that a mother cannot breastfeed while taking demerol in any form.  If
the physician refuses to change a demerol pain medication order to something
other than demerol then our unofficial policy is to interrupt breastfeeding,
have the mother pump and dump, and resume breastfeeding as soon as the
demerol is discontinued.  This is driving me mad!!!  Hale rates demerol as
"moderately safe" (L3) but not contraindicated.  I am aware of the long
half-life of demerol in the neonate and its effect of neurobehavior but I am
not sure whether this is enough reason the stop breastfeeding.  It seems way
over the top to me.

My question:  Am I missing something?  Should breastfeeding be interrupted
because of this drug?  Can babies safely breastfeed while mom is on demerol?
 I want to make a ruckus over this but want to make sure my facts are
straight before taking a stand.  Any help and suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks......Warmly...Judy Welborn RN IBCLC