From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:18:50 -0000
>there are cases where HIV
transmission is known to have occurred through breastfeeding; cases where
baby was negative after birth, then converted later on.)   Since we don't
know which infants are infected (accurate testing can be done at 1 month of
age<

Jennifer, are there documented cases of transmission via breastfeeding using
the newer accurate tests?  I know there are some older examples.  In some of
these cases I had understood that other factors we now might consider
significant (blood transfusion before donor screening) might have played a
role.  If there are recent examples written up, with clear discussion of
what else was controled for, this would be really helpful to know about.

Many thanks

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK

---