From:
Alice Delaquess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:41:25 -0500
I am a LLLL in Madison WI, a Lactnet lurker, and at the moment a
frustrated Lactnet searcher.  This is my first post, prompted by a call
I received on the our LLL phone line.

What are the established protocols for determining safety of donated
human milk?

Today's caller has a ten month old and a dwindling supply due to her
difficulty pumping regularly at work, and her friend with a 2 month old,
a copious supply, and dozens of 6 oz bags of frozen milk is glad to have
the milk go to good use.  She of course wants to be absolutely certain
this milk is safea,d the potentialdonor is willing to have her blood
screened.  What exactly is istscrrened for is her question.

She also aroused my curiosity by saying that she is looking forward to
her baby benefiting from immunities (distinct from her own) from her
friend's milk.

I also have a general question about the potential donor.  Is there a
concern when one is pumping substantially more than one's baby is
consuming that a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance is likely to occur.

I will of course pass on information about milk banks so the donor may
be inspired to later donate milk to those in greater than her friend.

TIA
Alice Delaquess