From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:50:01 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

Below is the text of the letter that I sent to Tommy Thompson and to Peggy
Conlon of the Ad Council. I sent a modifed version of the letter to my
governmental representatives. If you feel moved to do so and have not
already done so, please add your voice of support for the Campaign.

Still nomail--and in the middle of traveling,

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS, IBCLC, RLC
Ammawell
Website: http://home.comcast.net/~ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]

************************

Honorable Tommy G. Thompson
Secretary Department of Health & Human Services
200 Independence Avenue. SW
Washington, DC 20201

November 23, 2003

Dear Secretary Thompson:

In light of recent events threatening the fate of the National
Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign, I want to encourage you to stand firm in
your support of the Campaign in its original form. This will take more than
your knowledge of the science behind the Campaign and its messages, more
than your knowledge of the details of the focus groups that were conducted
before the Campaign was developed, and more than your knowledge of the
unethical marketing practices used by formula companies. It will take
courage.

Patterns of infant feeding in the United States today match the culturally
based beliefs that most people in the United States hold: a reverence for
science, technology, measurement, and the control of nature. Formula
feeding is, understandably, what feels right, acceptable, and desirable. In
the current cultural climate, it is difficult for many people to appreciate
that when we talk about the “benefits” of breastfeeding we are
demonstrating our grounding in mainstream US cultural beliefs. We have to
step outside of western culture to understand that breastfeeding
has “benefits” only when we measure health outcomes against the norms of
formula feeding. In reality, there are no “benefits” to breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is the foundation of normal human health and development. It
is the original paradigm for nurturing and nourishing young human beings.
When we measure the health outcomes of formula feeding against the health
outcomes of breastfeeding, we clearly see that formula feeding entails
risks to mothers and their children. A wealth of research supporting that
statement allows no dispute on scientific grounds. Objections can be raised
only on cultural, political, or economic grounds. Mothers have a right to
know these risks—free of cultural, political or economic bias—so that they
can make informed decisions regarding their and their children’s health.

The Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign seeks to create cultural change.
Courage is needed to examine personal and cultural biases that stand in the
way of creating, implementing, and supporting a Campaign that will
effectively create this change. In its opposition to the Campaign, the
formula industry seeks to maintain the status quo of infant feeding
patterns by means of political and economic power so that it can continue
to profit from our nation’s declining health. Courage is needed to stand
firm against the unethical tactics of that industry. Courage is needed to
act ethically when one’s colleagues fail to do so—whether that failure
stems from ignorance, personal regret that they did not know the risks of
formula feeding sooner, or an understandable fear of change.

I appreciate all you have done to bring this Campaign to fruition. I wish
you the courage needed to not let the Campaign be delayed or undermined.

Respectfully,