From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:39:24 -0600
> As I see it- the harm is already there-  so why all this concern over a
patent- Similac is already using the "brand" DHA to sell its product anyway.
How does them obtaining a patent on DHA fundamentally change what they are
already doing?

I just wanted to remind people of the success in Canada to force M-J to not
make health claims based on the DHA addition to its formula.  Follows is a
summary about this.

Janice Reynolds

Mead Johnson has agreed to comply with HC-CFIA request to cease and desist
its formula claims

Dear all,
Good news, I have just (April 5, 2004) received a call from Carla Barry of
the
Canadian Food Inspection Agency, to inform me that they have received a
response from Mead Johnson to the CFIA's requirement that MJ cease and
desist making claims for their fatty acid enhanced formulas. Mead Johnson
has responded by stating that they will terminate the claims forthwith. MJ's
letter will be confidential and INFACT Canada will not be given a copy. So
at this point we need to make sure that we monitor their intent and that
both Ross and Nestle also remain in compliance.
Thanks to all of you for the work in monitoring and writing letters etc
regarding these deceptive promotions. Lets keep up the pressure and make
sure that they stick to what they have promised.
Unfortunately under Canadian regulations they can still advertise the
product, just not make the claims. We still need to work on getting the full
code requirements into the regulations!
And if you note any adverts, please pass them to INFACT, so we can inform
the CFIA if they are in non-compliance.
Betty

Elisabeth Sterken
Director INFACT Canada/IBFAN North America
Tel: 416 595-9819
Fax: 416 591-9355
www.infactcanada.ca
Recipients of the Right Livelihood Award 1998

Background:
If you were not aware of this issue, take a look at the CBC Marketplace
report that aired nationally Feb 10, 2004.

Read the print article, and view the video of the item as it aired on TV
(the two are not the same), at box on right side:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/babyformula/index.html

"Genius in a Bottle"
"This week on Marketplace:
Genius in a Bottle:  We all want to give our children every possible
advantage in life.  But can that advantage come in what we feed our
infants?  It's what one formula campaign is hinting at."

Editor's Note:   INFACT Canada had worked extensively with the researchers
at CBC
Marketplace over the past several months to develop this expose of Mead
Johnson's Enfamil A+ violations of Canada's Food & Drugs Act and the
International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.

Marketplace is considering doing a follow-up piece.