From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:48:39 -0400
The conversation about nurse-ins has been an interesting one for me.
Barbara, there is value in the feel-good events, and you are right,
they should lead to or grow out of more long term involvement. It is
unfortunate that the long term involvement can't be just nursing you
children and that we need a political movement to help make that happen
for all the women who want it, but that is the reality of our lives. Do
you have membership forms handed out at the feel good events? When
people are feeling good about something is when they are likely to join
up. I think it is also important to emphasize to others what you
emphasize so eloquently to us in your periodic reminders about the
value of membership. Just being a member, without necessarily putting
in hours of work, is an important statement. It lets the organizations
know that you support their efforts. When organizations lobby for their
cause, it is very important that they can say they have a mandate from
X thousand members to pursue this effort.
We are moving mountains, one breastfeeding mom, one supportive
bystander at a time.
Thank you Barbara for your valuable insights and your reminders to us
all.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this conversation.

Naomi Bar-Yam

P.S. I do think it is interesting that Barbara Walters changed her tune
on what her comments about bfing were. I don't think of it as lying,
but that the pressure brought to bear made her want to distance herself
from her comments. That's not a bad thing. Would have been better to
own up to them and say she learned something from the nurse-in, but do
we really expect that today? Barbara Walter's mountain moved just a
little, let's take a moment to enjoy that.

On Jun 8, 2005, at 4:51 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

>  If all the people in Austin who show up once a
> year for a 15 min. feel-good event would pay annual dues to a bfg
> group to
> help with legislative lobbying, or would join ILCA or IBFAN or
> whatever, we
> might be able to move some mountains.
Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.

Researcher, Writer, Educator