From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:35:00 -0400
Isn't it our responsibility to give patients correct information whether

they
like it or not? They can always choose to ignore the info. But I think
that
they need to hear the best information at least once.

Laura Hart

This is just a question of the way you look at it, but I like to think
that people in new situations don't know what they need to know. So
information should be presented in a supportive way, starting from the
place the mother is right now. As in "I didn't know this when I started
breastfeeding, but..." or "Recently, people have found out that... works
really well...." and so on, that is, starting from the assumption that
it isn't because they have to "be told whether they like it or not" but
rather "they *deserve* to be given the support and information they
need." In other words, every mother and baby (o.k. every person, I just
focus on the important players in this business...) deserves the best.
Jo-Anne