From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:10:10 -0800
Hi All,
Jack, you do get the interesting cases, don't you?
My personal thoughts on this are, if both women are comfortable with the
idea of the 2nd mother (not the birth mom) BF the baby, and both are comfy
with the 2nd mother having a milk supply, I say do what you can to help
them.  Every couple (regardless of sexual orientation) has the right to
nurture their baby in a way that is meaningful and healthy for them and the
infant.  This is certainly one case where the baby will be getting optimal
nourishment and optimal nurturing from both parents!  Think about it...Not
only will this baby get snuggled and fed from both caretakers, but will get
this in the way we would like to see all babies snuggled and fed...at the
breast.
Now I know not everyone will agree with this view as not everyone agrees
with the idea/fact of homosexuals, and some even feel that it is improper
for homosexuals to even have children.  But that must stay a side issue, and
should not interfere with what is best for the baby. (I would hate to see a
baby will be very lucky indeed, since with two lactating moms, there will
never be a need for ABM.  (something that often gets given when mom has
left, there is no more EBM, and dad has to feed a hungry screaming baby
something)
The only thing that might possibly be a problem is (get this!) nipple/breast
confusion.  If it is possible for a baby to become nipple confused (bc of
bottles) then I would assume it would be possible for the baby to become
nipple/breast confused with the different shapes of each mother's breasts.
On a side note, I worked with a lesbian couple myself about 2 years ago
(gosh, has it been that long??).  Anyway, the birth mom had twins (boy/girl)
but only had one breast (lost the other to cancer).  We discussed the option
of mom #2 relactating to help out, but she was not interested.  ("I BF one
baby and hated it, I don't want to do that again", she said.)  The birth mom
BF both babies one the one breast exclusively for about 2 months, pumping
after feedings to stimulate more of a supply.  But around the 2 month mark,
she just couldn't keep up with the babies needs, and supplementation was begun.
Good luck, Jack!  Let us know how it works out.
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
ICQ#4681696