From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:20:06 +0000
The Journal of Human Lactation, 6(3) September 1990 was a thematic issue on
Ankyloglossia.  I believe I paid Human Sciences Press $10 or $15 (US) for an
extra issue, which I then gifted to a pediatrician who was very adamant
about not clipping.  It helped open up his attitudes and he stopped saying
never, ever clip.  He then sent them to ENTs who anesthetize the baby
-horrors - and make a huge deal out of a simple in-office clip.  Part of the
problem comes from the fact that younger drs. have never seen this done and
peds who do clip are approaching their 70's and retiring.  This month's
Contempory Pediatrics has a nice editorial by Julia McMillan, MD.  It is
about change.  The last paragraph "Learning is easy when we're students and
know nothing.  Willingness to review what we already think we know, revise
or discard it in exchange for something better, and by example, teach our
students and patients to do the same -- now that's hard."  Change is hard,
nobody ever said this would be easy.
Pat Young in SNJ, USA