Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:38:55 +0000
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1473

Amusing, and with a lot of truth, this article give TIC instructions
to physicians on how they can resist changing their practice....as
well as laughing, I thought to myself 'hmm........' on more than one
occasion.

Here's a sample:

Attack the data
When provided with new information that may require a change in practice:

*	Firstly, diss the source. No one expects you really to
believe information from sources outside your specialty or
geographical area.
*	Secondly, question the validity of the information. Every
study or report contains some loophole in its fabric, however small,
that can be snagged and used to unravel the validity of the whole
study. Use the common logical ploy that holds that if any aspect of
the study is imperfect, the entire study results must be wrong.
*	Thirdly, question the applicability to your patients. Studies
are done "out there" and can't possibly reflect the unique nature of
your practice. This technique is especially useful when data from
large studies contradict our impressions gleaned from personal
experience with a few patients.

This is one of the reasons why any training in bf support *has* to
allow for some debriefing of personal experience of breastfeeding and
contact with breastfeeding clients.

People (I include myself!) may have a hard time believing stuff that
doesn't chime with their own personal experience, even people who
have had some scientific or medical training.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK