From:
Aileen Emerling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:00:07 +0900
Dear Linda and All,

I do not have adult references, beyond the JHL article mentioned here on
colitis.

My 6 year old son was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis this summer (he
presented with severe iron deficiency anemia and frequent explosive
diaherra. Initially Crohn's was suspected). In my heart, I feel the
breastmilk he received during the acute period was significant in his
healing. He has mild pan colitis.

When we discussed his receiving breast milk with our health care team it
was not met with support (amusement, bafflement, shock, but not
support).

The best suggestion I can offer you is simply to consider carefully what
information you present and how it is presented. You mentioned that they
are receptive to information, which is a wonderful starting point.  You
can build from there.

A thought might be to present not only literature on adult uses, but
some background information on dynamic qualities of human milk,
specifically what it does in the gut.

Best wishes to your husband.

Aileen Emerling IBCLC
Tokyo Japan