From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 01:12:46 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/0 8:42:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I just got back from a first appointment with a new doctor for myself and
my
son (14 months).  My son hasn't gained any weight in about 3 months but has
grown 2 inches.  He's 22lbs and 32" long, eats a great variety of grownup
foods and nurses about 4 times a day.>>

Corinne,
Other LC's/moms must see this a lot. Toddlers do slow down, but docs don't
seem to accept this. They want to stuff them full of food just to be
sure--that is to be sure they fit into some arbitrarily-designed mold which
fails to take into account genetic expression and which teaches children
*not* to listen to their own bodies. Odd that he didn't suggest the problem
might be too *little* nursing! My largest baby weighed 21 lbs at 12 mos. All
of my children grew the same way in utero, all were w/in a few ounces of each
other at birth and all w/in a couple lbs of each other at 1 year. Must have
been a problem w/ the breastfeeding every time!
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

  Anyway, after a discussion about this
issue which for me is not a problem since I was small as a child and my
husband is very tall and has always been very thin, my doctor says to me
"well I may have to ask you to stop nursing if he doesn't gain anyweight in
the next couple of months".  I told her that I am definately not stopping
nursing, that bfing is very important to my son and to myself and that we
would have to figure out another plan of action to deal with this.  This is
doctor #2 who has given me flack about BFing.  The first told me I was
"crazy" to still be nursing him when he was 10 months old!