From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 19:52:12 -0700
Margery Wilson said:

The abm companies have done a
marvelous job of engaging the public trust. "Babies are our
business" seems like a warm, fuzzy statement to folks who
aren't in our line of work. This perception by the public of abm
companies as supportive of bf, as putting babies' best
interests first, means that those of us who question the
benign nature of abm are easily labeled "weird" and "radical."

When a local LLL leader I wrote in to the local paper explaining why it
wasn't a good idea to give free formula to the first baby born in the New
Year, she got several blistering letters (to the editor of the paper, and
anonymously to her!) saying, How dare she suggest ABM was bad!  when those
wonderful companies do SO MUCH FOR BABIES!

Arly Helm                                       [log in to unmask]