Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:14:56 EDT
One of the side effects of the Pediatrics article on donor milk having no
advantages over preterm formula has already happened. I received an e-mail from
a lactation consultant in a NICU saying that her unit will now cease looking
into the use of donor milk for preterm infants because it "isn't any better
than  the free preterm formula they receive." The fallout is unfortunate. The
study in  my mind still does not evaluate the outcomes between the use of donor
human milk  and preterm formula. When 21% of the donor milk infants were
switched to preterm  formula but still included in the donor milk sample, the
analysis of that sample  is now a mixture of 2 distinct groups. My question still
stands as to why this  was done and how can a conclusion be drawn that
outcomes from the use of donor  milk are not different than those from preterm
formula? It almost  looks like the formula diluted any effect that donor milk would
have on the 2  outcomes measured, late onset sepsis and occurrence of NEC. No
long  term outcomes were studied, just the conclusion given that "beneficial
short-term outcomes for extremely premature infants are not supported by the
substitution of pasteurized donor milk for mother's milk." Too bad.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA