From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 12:41:49 -0400
> Heidi posted a message about pinworms, stating that they 'go away on their
> own in about two weeks, are dormant for a few weeks, and then begin the
> cycle again'
>
> I do not believe that the worms lie dormant, but that this is a case of
> reinfection.

Believe it. I did not seek treatment for about 6 months. i didn't know
what was wrong, and I never saw the worms until then.  The worms *do* go
away for a few weeks, and return again.  Even before I tried the
mebendazole.  I think that you may be right about reinfestation after the
txt was administered, but before then, the worms do "go away" and come
back in cycles.

> their eggs. If the eggs get on the bedsheets then whoever changes them
> needs to take care not to shake them, and to wash their hands afterwards,
> and when should they be changed? Change them before treatment and more eggs
> can pass onto the clean sheets to be picked up next time they are changed,
> or change them afterwards and risk picking up the eggs then? Kids pick up
> eggs from school and public toilets, so no doubt this risk of reinfection
> does not go away either.

We did all of this, in fact, I had to boil sheets and underwear, and
vaccuum the carpets, because the eggs can live in the carpeting too. The
pyrantel pamoate worked, the mebendazole did not in my experience. Also, i
was the only one in my family affected- I caught them from a child I
babysat.  (She was treated without my knowledge, and no one told me until
*I* mentioned that *I* had them! uuugh!)

In any case "home" remedies are not sufficient, and the two week
disappearrance seems to correspond to the cycle I experienced before I was
treated! Thanks for listening!

Heidi