From:
Esther Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:55:25 -0700
As has been stated before with other attempts to educate HCP's who are skeptical or misinformed about BF, this is not yours to prove!  Your midwife has stated her belief and has conceded that she had no facts to back it up; I would simply request that if she is truly that concerned about tandem nursing that SHE  take responsibility for providing the references to prove her point.  Otherwise, she needs to let it go and realize that tandem is a normal aspect of lactation!
    I believe very strongly that we all need to remember (and remind clients) that the recommendations of HCP's are just that: recommendations.  The choice of whether to follow those recommendations, seek other opinions, etc. always lies with the patient.  Our culture here in the USA tends to deify the medical profession, and I see SO many women who simply cede all their power to make decisions to the doctor, simply because of that "magic" MD.... not only in terms of BF, either!  I am NOT doctor bashing, just seeing so many people abdicating their own role in their health care decisions and those of their children...
Esther Friedman, RLC, IBCLC, LLLL, Mom who has argued with HCP's more than a few times, sister to an MD :-)www.firstgiving.com/tylermom
There is no greater accomplishment than helping a child...