From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:55:41 -0500
>Some more on the cultural front.  I think ancient Hawaiians buried the
>placenta by a tree (I have to check my files to see if it was a certain
>type of tree) to ensure good eyesight for the baby.  I have been
>contemplating this for this baby.

This made me think of a relative who's a nurse practitioner in Alaska.  W/
her first pregnancy, her Upik neighbors counseled her on such important
matters as going out the door twice when she left the house, and not
dawdling inside after putting on her coat to leave.  She wisely adhered to
all their counsel, commenting, "After all, they tend to birth and
breastfeed easily.  Those of us from the lower 48 don't.  Who am I to say
which of their traditions isn't important?"  Needless to say, she's had
good births and champion nursers...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY