Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:15:18 -0400
I know I'm late with this answer, but first I was out of town, and then I
was sick, so I am behind on my Lactnet reading.  I am so glad that I didn't
just delete the screen-full of emails I found when I returned to the office
today LOL!  I've read several posts today that I loved for one reason or
another, such as this one.

As for infant self-attachment, I just want to concur with you 100%!  (And
would love to see any handouts or text-of-talks-you've-given that you're
willing to share)  I have come to the same conclusions in my work with WIC
moms and babies.  They come to me, usually, weeks after birth...maybe 2 or 3
weeks.  They've had so many bottles that they're no longer counting them,
baby isn't latching, the hospital experience was, shall we say, less than
helpful with regards to breastfeeding, etc....and you know what?

Most of the time, none of that really matters LOL!

I have come to the conlusion that all neonates want to breastfeed.  Pretty
much every last one of them.  Yes, things can get in the way, sometimes
anatomical problems exist, or other obstacles, but just as you've pointed
out, Dr. Smillie, given some relaxed, no-agenda, no-pressure, quality time
on mom's chest skin-to-skin, most will get over there and start nursing, at
some point.  Ususally sooner rather than later.  Often I have given clients
a "homework" assignment on a Friday to spend at least 2 naps a day,
post-feeding so that baby's not stressed out by hunger, with baby
skin-to-skin on mom's bare chest.  Similar instructions to yours, Tina -
talk to baby softly, keep the mood peaceful and enjoyable, don't tense up
with nervous anticipation the minute the baby wakes up and starts rooting (I
warn them, no yelling out, just when the baby awakens, "HONEY!  THE BABY
JUST WOKE UP!  COME QUICK, ITS TIME TO NURSE AND I NEED YOUR HELP!"  Moms
invariably laugh at that in recognition of the syndrome.)  Just enjoy the
moment, make eye contact and talk to the baby.  Don't wear any perfumes.
Let baby sleep nose close to nipple if possible, so that he smells your milk
as he sleeps.

(I add to that some other suggestions about offering the breast at each
feeding, in combination with whatever else they're already doing to feed the
baby.  More on that in another post if anyone cares to hear it.)

I promise to see them personally if the baby isn't nursing by Monday, tell
them to count diapers carefully, and call me first thing Monday morning.

Usually by Monday, the baby's nursing and no consult is necessary!
Sometimes it is, of course.  And some situations are tougher than others.
But really, I have been much surprised to learn that babies under 4 weeks
old, by and large, are very forgiving of us silly adults.  Give them a
chance to enjoy the breast, and they'll hop right on.   I love seeing that
happen!
Regina Roig Lane, BS IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC