From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:43:43 -0500
My take on a lot of the reasons that women have breastfeeding problems is
twofold - one, we just don't see breastfeeding enough. We don't see it as
children, when we are able to absorb positioning and latch through our
pores. Note the children who breastfeed their dolls and always position them
correctly! The second is that we have this crazy idea that "natural" equates
with "need to be able to do it all alone".  Not at all the same! I've just
written an essay (which I'll post to my website as soon as I can deal with a
little technical issue) comparing breastfeeding to riding a bike. Imagine
you'd never seen a bicycle before, and decided to just order one and learn
to ride it - alone, from a book. Ridiculous, right? And yet, that is what
women are trying to do, because it is "natural". Remind women that they are
alone in unprecedented ways when they go home from a birth (or stay home,
after a home birth). Instead of relying on their history of watching normal
breastfeeding and their support network of women from the community, there
they sit, trying to figure out from a book which way to lean to get the
darned bicycle to turn, and quite often, crashing.
My question is, how can we get women to accept that breastfeeding often
requires help in the beginning, without making it seem too hard and onorous?
I like the bike riding analogy a lot (I'm milking it for all it's worth - ha
ha) - if a woman knows how to ride a bicycle, she probably thinks of it as
almost effortless (at least on flat ground!) - but would she ever tell
anyone to try and learn how on their own, without anyone to hold the seat? I
doubt it!
(in the US, "just like riding a bike" is a phrase used to express that
something, once learned, will be easy - a skill never forgotten)
So, we educate, one mom at a time, that needing help is normal, and getting
some help is not just a nice option, it's part of the learning process! Now,
if there were more people for them to call...

Somewhat frustratedly today,
Kirsten Berggren, PhD, CLC
www.workandpump.com