From:
Patty Spanjer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:41:52 -0500
I would like to attempt to answer a few of your questions.

> 3.  Would allergies only affect her during the day?  She has always slept
> well and long at night.

My highly allergic baby (my fourth child) slept better at night than any of
my other children.

> 4.  How are the symptoms of collick and allergies to dairy and soy
> different?

Colick is a catch all word that has no definative diagnosis, so symptoms
could be the same.  Coloc may be allergies.  Allergies often cause excema,
blood or mucus in the stools, etc.  Strictly speaking, colic doesn't usually
do that,
.

> 5.  Will soy/dairy in my diet create an immunity in her?

Soy and dairy in your diet won't create an immunity.  It will just be
exposing her to something she is allergic to.  Some babies react to
allergins in mom's diet and some don't.  If the do react the best course is
to remove the offending food from your diet.

> 6.  Is there a correlation between my son's first 4 months of 'collick'
> symptoms and Ellies so far?  (Did my son have soy/dairy allergies or is
> Ellie just collicky?)

Your son very well could have been allergic.  Looking back after my Alex was
diagnosed I realized a couple of my other kids probably were allergic to
dairy for a few months.

> 8.  Nursing makes me more hungry.  I've heard that the elimination diet
> causes weight loss - should I be concerned I may become weak?

All I can say is there are a lot of choices in food.  You will not have any
problem finding sources of nutrition.  I gave up dairy, soy, eggs, and
peanuts and tree nuts and I sure didn't loose any weight.  There is milk,
ice cream and cheese made out of rice.  I didn't like it, so I just stopped
eating those items.  I made sure I got plenty of calcium from other sources,
including, but not limited to juices fortified with calcium.  You can easily
replace eggs in most baked goods with 1 Tablespoon of water, 1 Tablespoon of
vinegar, and one teaspoon of baking powder.  Check out  www.foodallergy.org
for more information.

> 11. Would I see a HUGE difference in my baby when she has been on neocate
> for 3 days already?  Would I see a HUGE difference when on the elimination
> diet for 3 days, how long would it take to see the diff?

The elimination diet can take up to two weeks to show a difference, but my
experience is you usually see something in 3-5 days.

> I really feel as if I can't make a decision without knowing what the exact
> problem is."

You may have already addressed this, but have you seen a pediatric
allergist?  We have one here that will test, (skin test or RAST) a baby as
young as 4 months..  He has saved many breastfeeding relationships by
helping the mom get to the root of the problem.  I normally try to avoid
invasive tests, but in the case of my son each food caused full blown
symptoms, and I had not been able to discover them all on my own.  He was
even allergic to white potatoes for a while!

Patty Spanjer,
LLLL, IBCLC
Dalton, GA USA