From:
Yaffa Stark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 17:28:37 -0800
To all of you LCs out there - I have run into a situation that is concerning me
and I am not sure how to handle.  Perhaps you have some suggestions.  I came
across a young woman who is a sub-station for a pump rental company.  She is
working in the same community where I have my practice.  Though I too rent
pumps, competion is not at all a problem.  There is enough out there for all of
us.  She has begun to advertise herself in an advertising booklet that I use,
as well and the first line of her ad is *Lactation Consultant*.  When we spoke
I asked her about her credentials and she told me that she has read a couple of
books.  She did say that she was planning to take some kind of course
eventually.  She says that she helps moms over the phone and if they rent a
pump she will go out to their house and try to help them.  I have a great
concern for the possible damage that can be done to bfing moms by someone like
this.  My fear is that she will give out incorrect info and in so doing will
keep these moms from getting to a real LC, whether me or any of the other well
qualified people in our area.  I'm not sure if there is anything I can or even
should do to stop her.  Any ideas?  I'll eagerly look forward to your answers.

Yaffa

Yaffa Stark, MA, ICLC
Los Angeles,CA
Remember, breastfeeding should not hurt!