From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:45:58 -0400
Jan,
You said this baby has enlarged breast and some pubic hair?
Difficult to answer without seeing her but two questions, 1. is this really
pubic hair? if so this might be a central precious puberty but its very
young.
2. Does she have evidence of estrogen other than breast tissue?, assuming
its breast tissue and not chubbiness.
Some baby's will have normal estrogen levels but sensitive tissues so they
get transient budding with normal levels, nothing to worry about.
Estrogen causes: breast budding,  maturation of vaginal tissues, and fat
deposition on hips and buttocks.
Progesterone (an androgenic) hormone will cause pubic hair, axillary hair
and skin oiliness / body order.
These hormones will also cause a growth spurt.
So does she have systemic evidence of pubertal hormones and if so why?
As a resident I once saw a baby with benign telearchy (breast budding/
normal estrogen levels) we had to tell mom straight out "do not stop
breastfeeding."
-Rob

Rob Cordes, DO, FAAP, FACOP
general pediatrician