From:
Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:43:41 -0500
Dear Nikki,
I needed to chime in you so eloquently stated all the obstacles we face in trying to keep mom and baby together. We have a small botique on our OB unit in which I oversee. We recently remodeled and so I am situated in the far corner of the unit. They did on purpose so when I have a Lactation client to see I have a private area to see her. But because traffic was down and we have some nice people that make things that they like to sell such as Christening gowns, bonnets, diaper bag, burp cloths and breastfeeding supplies.
I asked marketing to make some flyer tents for the postpartum and labor rooms so that patients know where we are. She brought them up to me to proof read and sure enough there is a baby with a pacifier on one side and a baby bottle on the other. Along with just a small note of location, hours and items carried. I picked out a picture with a mom smiling at her baby holding the baby.
Our hospital continues to give out the gift bags with the formula and I don't have any say in it. I do have moms that ask to have it taken out and we do.
When I am asked to assist a mom with her baby and find she is checking her cell phone, Dad is flipping through the channels and baby is wrapped up tightly in the crib accross the room. I first ask when her baby has fed, how she feels the feeding went and then ask if we can stimulate the baby to waken by unwrapping and placing skin to skin. Some do some don't.
Because we know that we can help mother's continue to have healthier babies we continue to keep trying.
Peace,
Terri Klein RN, IBCLC. RLC